Custom-made foot orthoses (orthotics) are medical insoles worn inside footwear. They are designed and manufactured based on a specific individual’s feet and footwear in order to address a need determined during a clinical assessment by a qualified footcare professional
Custom-made foot orthotics are made from a three-dimensional model of the patient’s foot and are fabricated from raw materials. They are designed to meet the patient’s unique and specific needs.
WHAT TO EXPECT
Here's what to expect from an orthotic assessment appointment with one of our Canadian Certified Pedorthists;
- Detailed medical history about yourself and your current pain/concern. We may ask LOTS of questions but they all help us determine the best treatment plan for YOU.
- Footwear Assessment: We will take a look at the wear patterns of your shoes (feel free to bring in a few!), and educate you on what to look for when shopping for new shoes.
- Range of Motion: We do some testing to see how your feet and legs move - if any joints are too flexible or too stuff it can affect the way you walk!
- Gait Assessment: We get you on the catwalk and watch you walk. We will take a video too and watch it back with you in slow motion to show you what is happening!
- Treatment Plan: We connect all the dots and create a treatment plan specific to you! This can include any combination of; new shoes, custom orthotics, over the counter insoles, stretching exercises and Physiotherapy/Massage Therapy/ Footcare referrals.
Canadian Certified Pedorthists - C Ped (C) - are foot orthotic and orthopaedic footwear experts. We are one of the few healthcare professionals trained in the assessment of lower limb anatomy and muscle and joint function.
With specialized education and training in foot orthotics and footwear, Canadian Certified Pedorthists help to alleviate pain, abnormalities and debilitating conditions of the lower limb and feet.
As members of our patients' healthcare teams, Canadian Certified Pedorthists work with physicians, nurse practitioners and other healthcare providers. The goal of every Canadian Certified Pedorthist is to help patient achieve and maintain proper foot care and lower limb health so they can live healthy, active lives.